Wednesday, July 10, 2013

training for a 5k

Less than 3 months after OBaby’s birthday, I will attempt to run 3.2 miles.Let’s face it: pushing a 7lb 11oz human being out of my body just wasn’t enough to do this year.Actually, no this will be awesome. It has been exactly the motivation I needed to get up and get moving. Even if my ahem remaining baby jelly belly keeps moving after I stop.Sorry if that was a little too much imagery for you; it’s just the reality of the situation.So what have I been motivated to do so far? 4 times a week for the last 3 and a half weeks, I have made myself get up and walkslashjog. At first it was 2 miles, then quickly it was 3 miles, then I’d mostly walk and jog a little of the 3 miles, and now I’m up to walking 2 of the 3 miles and jogging 1.Ok, so the one mile I’m jogging is split into 1/3 of a mile sections, but still! I mean, remember this?It’s only been 6 weeks.I know, right?!Also, I am back in non-maternity pants, but I don’t really want to talk about it. Thanks.I can’t pretend that the 5k date of October 10th being circled on my calendar has been my only motivation. Please say a big O My Family hello to my jogging buddy:The Jeep Overland Limited Jogger (say that 10 times fast)!O My Health Hazards Allison! You can’t put an infant in a jogging stroller!Obviously. Thanks for the heads up. (Bah dum ch! Get it? They shouldn’t go in a jogging stroller until they can hold their heads up? Bahaha. O. Sorry.)That’s the best part of this stroller though. Our car seat snaps right in. The manufacturer doesn’t acknowledge this, and technically it only snaps in coincidentally because the car seat and the sides of the snack tray are the right widths, BUT IT WORKS. So OBaby and I go hopping along, he safe in his supportive and shock absorbing car seat, and me, sweating off my I’MNOTTELLINGHOWMANY pregnancy pounds slowly but surely.The third prong of my motivation trifecta: Madam Germann whose idea this actually was. See, she’s the purposeful, driven, achieving type that sat down and set annual goals for herself back in January.No, I do not understand her. Love her, yes. Understand, no.On this list which I will never have the foresight to make for myself¬† (I’m lucky if I write a grocery list before I get to the store) was “run a 5k”. So Mrs. Germann tells me this back in January, and I (hopefully kindly) asked if I could totally crash her self-goal-setting party.She obliged.Dear Mrs. G,My baby jelly belly thanks you.-Mrs. O

No comments:

Post a Comment